Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Almost a year ago....

The morning of the C-section, 38 weeks pregnant.
I was scheduled to have a C-Section on August 28th at 7:30 am. Justin and I woke up bright and early the morning of the C-section. I had to arrive at the hospital at 6:30 giving them plenty of time to process all the paperwork. I also had to call an hour before the arrival time to make sure they still had room for me. So we woke up at 4:30 (BARF) and got all ready to start the waiting process.

After a long night of not being able to eat or drink anything I was ready to get this whole thing over with. All I wanted was some food and water. I remember through the night I keep waking up and thinking that I may die because I wasn't able to drink anything.

At 5:30am I called the hospital to make sure we were still scheduled for 7:30. I was informed then, that it wasn't scheduled until 8:30. Being that it took about an hour to get there and I was too hungry to sleep, Justin and I killed some time at home. We mostly talked and day-dreamed about what was going to happen. We kept thinking that this would really be our last moments alone in our house together. The next time we would be home, we would have TWO babies with us.

Finally it was time to go to the hospital. We arrived an hour early (as instructed) only to find out that we weren't really scheduled to have the C-section until 10:30! The original time on my paperwork was 10:30 but then they bumped it up to 7:30. Well I guess they didn't really bump anything up except my blood pressure! I had no idea how I could have gotten 3 different times and I was hungry and pissed!

I was given the option to leave and come back or to stay and wait. I opted to stay (its not like we could go to breakfast... but it was the first thought I had). I guess we could have gone home, but with driving time and traffic it wasn't worth it. So we began waiting. And waiting. And waiting!

Family started to pour in... to wait. I was tired, angry, hungry and anxious. 10:30 came and went. The nurse said that the room wasn't cleared from a previous section so we had to wait. Once we did get back into the room we waited even longer for the anesthesiologist. And then we waited for the doctor. FINALLY everyone was there (except the midwives, but I hated all of them at that point anyway).

After they gave me the spinal, I threw up. I was then given anti-nausea medication and I had a complete panic attack! It was awful! I was tied to the table, numb and I was still trying to leave. I was totally freaking out. I was literally trying to pull myself off the operating table. Justin thought it was pretty funny because I was strapped down and numb but I still thought I could leave. Other people have told me that after getting the same anti-nausea medication they had panic attacks too. Soon after my freak out I must have been sedated. I couldn't even keep my eyes open and the moment I had been waiting 9 months for, really didn't matter to me.

I just laid there listening to the doctors talk. I was so irritated because they just kept talking. I was like SHUT UP, get these babies out!

12:00pm Olivia was the born. My baby A. I remember her cry... so sweet. I was so relived to hear her cry. The next 3 minutes were the longest 3 minutes of my life. The doctors were silent, pulling and tugging, all the talking had stopped. I only remember a few words from the surgeon instructing a nurse to get on the operating table to push on my abdomen. The operating table was shaking. All I kept thinking was, get the baby out, get the baby out. I need to hear her cry. Finally at 12:03 Lyla was born. I heard her cry and it was equally as sweet. After Olivia was out my uterus contracted so that why they had to fight so much to Lyla out. It was scary.

The girls were finally here and safe. I heard one sneeze and the other had hiccups. I was so happy. Justin and my mom were examining them and telling me all about it. I remember my mom saying that they were not identical. Justin confirmed they looked totally different. More on the girls later... I want to touch on something else that happened on their birthday.

Later that day my dad came to visit us at the hospital. He came and sat right by my bed. He told me that my grandmother Arlene died that morning. It was so sad to hear this news on such a happy day. My first thought was that she wouldn't get to meet my girls. Then I realized that she already had. All the set backs on time just made her able to meet the girls and send them off to meet us.

I miss my Grandma very much. I feel like I was never able to say goodbye to her. I wasn't able to attend her funeral services (for obvious reasons). When I was young we were very close. Here are some things that will forever remind me of my grandma:

  • Ironing a dress shirt
  • Nestle Quik chocolate milk mix
  • Sewing, Crocheting, Knitting
  • Half-popped Popcorn kernels
  • Playing Cards
  • The words "Blouse" and "Slacks"
  • The "Cathy" comic strip
  • Hot cereal
  • Roast beef and pickle sandwiches
  • Hot Fudge Sundays
  • JB's restaurant
  • The movie "Dead Poet Society"
  • Hair Rollers
  • V05 shampoo

I have so many fond memories of my grandma. She taught me many things when I was young. Hopefully I will be able to teach my girls the things she taught me. Like how to properly iron a dress shirt, sew, crochet, or french braid hair. I will miss her very much. Love you Gma!

I plan on reflecting and gushing more about the girls tomorrow. Say tuned if you can stand it.

5 comments:

Abbie said...

Best post EVER! I love hearing about how it all went. What an exciting day! What a blessing that everything (except the waiting, hunger, and thirst) went so well. I love how you tell it.

I miss G-ma too. Not flying up for her funeral is a HUGE regret. Why didn't I???

I'm excited to hear more tomorrow.

Erin said...

Thanks for the early morning cry! Can you believe that all of that was a year ago? In some ways, it seems like a hundred years ago. In other ways, it seems like yesterday!

Such sweet memories of Grandma 'Need. I wish I could have known her back in the day too. :)

Goldie said...

Good story, birth stories are the best. Happy B-day to the babies!! Give them kisses for Ava and me!

Marcie said...

Great story about the birth! I hadn't heard all of it. Also, I remember your Grandma Arlene fondly as well! xoxo

Tami Anderson said...

Thanks for the afternoon cry! (to copy Erin) What a great day. Happy birthday to those adorable babies.