I am sure most of you have heard this story. It has taken me at least a week to recover and actually find some humor in it.
Last week I went into the girl's room to feed Lyla before I went to bed. To my horror she was not in her crib. I shuffled my hands through the blankets a few times in disbelief because I knew that is where I had left her. My first thought was that she had been kidnapped and quickly made sure Olivia was in her crib. Olivia was sleeping soundly like a little angel . I suddenly had a CSI flash (like from the TV show) of police dusting for fingerprints, checking window seals, asking where I was. How could I have not heard someone break in a steal my baby? Then I thought well maybe she is still here and just not in her crib.
Lyla had not been able to pull herself up onto the side of the crib yet... but with her determination and protests for nap time and bedtime I guess anything is possible. So I started to look around the room with only the small amount of light from the night light I saw her. She was on the floor face down a few feet from the crib. I was horrified, how could I let this happen? I was sure she was dead, because she was not making a sound. I immediately started crying and swooped down to see if she was breathing.... as I grabbed her she was startled and started crying too. I thought to myself, she is here and alive but she must be injured somehow. I was also thinking, how did this happen? Is this happening? As soon as I could compose myself and let go of Lyla, Dad and I did a full examination and she was just fine.
Needless to say we have lowered Lyla's crib and now she spends her nap time trying to find a new way out. I feel like I have a long road ahead with this child.... at least it won't be a dull one.
Olivia slept through the entire event like a little angel....
Can you imagine what Justin thought? He was in the basement and all he heard was both of us crying and then he came running. He was for sure someone had died. We were both so shook up it took quite awhile for us to put Lyla back to bed and to fall asleep ourselves.
Lyla trying to escape the bath tub
OliviaI asked Justin to take a Mother's Day picture of me and the girls. And this is the best pic we ended up with. I have no idea what the malfunction is with my husband and our camera. He said it was hard to keep us all in the shot and get the girls attention....
The later part of the M. D. celebrating, Olivia had enough fun and pretty much cried.
Everyone tried to console her and she just keep crying.
After "Lyla's Leap" it gave her enough confidence to start pulling herself up onto things. Great! Not only do I need to trap them in a room, with a clean the floor. Now I have to keep everything off the couch and remove all dangerous furniture. Maybe a baby cage is the answer... right Erin?
What is with these faces? LOL! What cuties! I guess the best part of my Mother's Day was loving my children. And no matter what I do (for now) they love me back!
I read an article this week (not sure where). It pretty much said that a lot of mothers spend a lot of time being critical of themselves and comparing themselves to other mothers. The point it made was that your child only knows you and thinks you are the greatest. I can see it in my girls eyes, they look at me with such admiration and love. I hope that they still look at me the same way in the years to come. Happy late Mother's Day!


10 comments:
I can not even imagine your horror!! I would have freaked out...I'm so glad she is a trooper. Yes Lyla definately gets my vote this week again!! I miss the girls Canyon has informed me that he wants a brother and a sister!! Happy Mothers Day late!
I love you
Holy crap Melissa- I would've died on the spot! I'm glad to hear that all was well and that she is just a little acrobat. The girls are beautiful, can't wait to see them again. Perhaps we should all have BBQ soon.
They are SO cute, I hope Olivia recovered from her Mothers Days sadness. And looks like Lyla has recovered from her jail break attempt. Hopefull you won't get a broken wrist from the crib escape like me and Ava did.....
Love the end part of your post! being a mother is AWESOME!
That would have TOTALLY and completely freaked me right out. I am glad that everyone has recovered.
You know how our weird family has that love of the movie "Raising Arizona"? Doesn't that family have quintuplets or something like that? Well, I was sure that the same thing would happen to us. Someone would hear our story, think that we had one too many children and take one off of our hands for themselves. It would keep me up at night.
Dang movies!
Excellent post! I told this story at work last night and there were some seriously sympathetic gasps and "OH MY GOSH" exclamations. :) Li'l cutie is gonna be the death of you! ;) We may have to keep one of yours and one of mine in contained spaces only when they play. :)
As for the baby cage--I dunno. I know a good doctor you can call about that though. LOL
Kids'll definitely make life interesting, won't they! Rachel can stand up in her crib now, too, and I keep thinking I should lower the mattress. Maybe right now. Lyla's Leap...hee-hee.
The girls are perfectly adorable and I'm glad you could celebrate "M.D." twin-style!
Get that girl some repel equipment!
I'm laughing and crying. What a beautiful post. It's true. Your children love you and think you're awesome. (well, until they're teenagers - then you can't do anything right.)
Then they grow out of that and become wonderful parents that you love and admire. You're great. Happy Mother's Day again (and again).
I have not heard that story!! That must have been terrifying and that is so extremely naughty of her. That is SO young for her to be figuring stuff like that out!
Oh my gosh, i would have died!!! Scary!!! How do they try to even escape??? I hear that paybacks are a you know what, so your in for it, because I know you were a handful!! I can relate because I was too!! hehe Im glas your all safe!!
Post a Comment